Notable Cast: Anthony Steffan, Marina Malfatti, Rod Murdock, Giacomo Rossi Stuart, Umberto Raho, Roberto Maldera, Joan C. Davies, Erika Blanc
In an effort to set up a context for this review, I’ll admit – I made a mistake. Instead of watching the two films in the Killer Dames double feature box set in chronological order, I started with The Red Queen Kills Seven Times mostly due to its kickass title. I had little knowledge of either film prior to watching them, perhaps knowing that they were cult favorites for some of my giallo loving cohorts, and I was pleasantly surprised with the The Red Queen’s blend of gothic elements and giallo structures. Going into the previous film The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave (which will be referred to as Evelyn from this point on) of similar style from director Miraglia, I had high hopes for another round of gothic giallo fun. However, The Red Queen was most definitely a more refined approach to this style. Evelyn is certainly a ballsy film at times, willing to sacrifice logic or narrative flow for the sake of a few shocks and revelations, but it sacrifices too much and it ends up feeling half cooked despite some strong visual elements and exciting concepts.
Alan (Steffan) is the Lord of a wealthy estate, but when his wife Evelyn passed away it drove him to the brink of insanity – enough so that he punishes any red headed woman he sees. However, he’s back on track with his life. His castle is newly restored, his family supports him, and he has recently married a wonderful young woman (Malfatti) to move on with his life. It’s too bad that his dead ex-wife seems to have other ideas…and the body count has only started.
|Chance meeting...or a predator looking for prey?
|The Killer Dames box set from Arrow Video.
|It's not a true giallo without one eye ball shot.
ARROW VIDEO FEATURES:
- Limited Edition box set (3000 copies) containing The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave and The Red Queen Kills Seven Times
- Brand new 2K restorations of the films from the original camera negatives
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
- Original Italian and English soundtracks in mono audio (lossless DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray Discs)
- Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtracks
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtracks
- Limited Edition 60-page booklet containing new writing by James Blackford, Kat Ellinger, Leonard Jacobs and Rachael Nisbet
- New audio commentary by Troy Howarth
- Exclusive introduction by actress Erika Blanc
- Writer Stephen Thrower on The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave
- The Night Erika Came Out of the Grave exclusive interview with Erika Blanc
- The Whip and the Body archival interview with Erika Blanc
- Still Rising from the Grave archival interview with production designer Lorenzo Baraldi
- Original Italian and US theatrical trailers
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx
Written By Matt Reifschneider